Monday, July 19, 2010

Dondakaya Veppudu - Simple way

I am a very picky eater to this day, but a lot less choosy now when compared to my younger days. Main reason being then my mother used to cook and now I have to cook :). I first saw my cousin cooking the dondakaya/tindora this way. She patiently kept frying till they were well done. My mother must have also made this but I started liking it the way my cousin made :).

Ingredients

Dondakaya/Tindora
Curry leaves/ Karvepaku
Salt
Red chilly powder
Turmeric powder

Process
  1. Wash the dondakaya. Chop off the ends and thinly slice them as shown below.
  2. Next step is to start frying. I generally cook the dondakaya in microwave for sometime to cut back on frying time. So I add some oil to the dondakaya and put it in microwave for 10 -15 mins.
  3. Heat a frying pan. Add some oil, when it is hot add the curry leaves. Then add the sliced dondakaya. Fry for sometime and turn over after sometime
  4. When they start to get translucent, add the salt, red chilly powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
  5. Once all the spices are mixed and the dondakaya has become soft, its cooked. You can stop here but I continue frying, so that a slight charand crispy texture appears on some of them. Becareful not to burn them while doing so. Once done garnish with chopped coriander.

0 comments:

Post a Comment