Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mokkajonna Vada (Corn vada)

I ate this for first when I was in 11th class. I was in hostel at that time and one of friends' parents sent this for her and she shared it with us. I really loved the way it tasted with the green chutney. So when I was back home I asked my mother to prepare this for me. The process is simple and it is delicious snack.Give it a try :)

Ingredients
Corn cobs - 3 medium sized
Chopped onions - 1 big
Chopped coriander leaves
Chopped curry leaves/ karvepaku
Chopped green chillies - 6 small
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Salt
Garam masala
Corn starch - optional
Oil for frying

Process

  1. Prepping the corn: Shell the corn seeds from the corn and then grind them in the mixer. Ideally the corn seeds used should be harder or tough (muduru mokkajonna). But the corn cobs that we get in USA are sweet corn, which are very soft and juicy. The problem with the softer corn seeds is that after grinding the paste becomes watery and is not suitable to fry as it will not hold the shape. An easy fix for this is to add the corn starch to it.
  2. Now add the chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves to add. Also add the ginger galic paste, salt and the garam masala and mix well. The batter is ready for fry.
  3. Heat oil in deep frying pan. Make small lemon sized balls or patties and drop them slowly in the hot oil. You can also use a spoon to scoop the batter and drop them in oil.
  4. Take the the corn vada out when they are slightly brown.
  5. This can be served with coriander chutney. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment