Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Aloo Tikki - The first thing I ever cooked

I first started making them when I was in my 10th class. Initially it started with me helping my mother by peeling and mashing the boiled potatoes. Then came the time when I started adding the salt and mirchi powder. Thus started my first small steps into the world of cooking. At first I just made plain aloo tikkis, then got bored with it started adding onions, and later on additions to it were chopped carrots, peas, chopped corriander leaves and cashew nuts. Thus, the  journey from plain to little more colorful aloo tikki. So here goes the simplest recipe I first tried.

Ingredients:
Potatoes
Chopped onions
Chopped/thickly grated carrots
Peas
Fried cashew nuts
Chopped coriander leaves
Salt
Red chilly powder
Amchur(dried mango) powder - optional

Process:
  1. Boil the potatoes. Cooking them in pressure cooker is easier( 3-4 whistles will do). Can also be boiled in open vessel, when knife is pierced through a potato and it goes in easily to the other side it is fully cooked.
  2. Once the potatoes have cooled down, peel them and mash them. Be careful while mashing the potatoes while they are hot. Use a spoon, potato masher or a spatula.
  3. If making plain tikkis just add salt and chilly powder. Else, add the chopped onions, carrots, coriander leaves, peas and cashewnuts. Add amchur powder if you want to give your tikkis slightly tangy taste.
  4. Take a small ball of above mix and make a patty out of it by gently pressing it between your palms. Note: slightly oiling your palms helps, as the mix will not stick to your palms.
  5. Heat a frying pan, add a few drops of oil and fry the tikkis on both sides.
This can be served with green chutney made of green chillies, corriander and mint leaves  or with the sweet chutney made of tamarind juice and jaggery. The easiest would be going with some ketchup. These tikkis can also be used for aloo tikki chaat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment